Author Topic: Starter issues  (Read 1846 times)

Bigwig

• View Profile
Starter issues
« on: November 01, 2013, 11:22:06 PM »
Hi all I am the proud owner of a Carbon Dream MHe and live in Tasmania Australia :)

I've has 3 years of trouble free riding but I know have a gremlin which I'd appreciate your thoughts. She had been sitting for a long time off trickle charger but after a day of charge it fired up nicely. Rest of the ride the lights etc came on at start up but took 3-6 hits off the starter button before it would turn over - towards the end of the day it wouldn't turn over at all only the click noise at the push of the button but nothing

Would fire on push start..... I have the CA in tank battery and I've just removed all the bodywork to access battery and charge it properly but the charger says battery is full charged! Still nothing more than the click - even hooked it up to the car via jumper leads and still no joy

Before visiting the mechanic is there something else I've missed?!

Cheers Stu

80ojeck

• View Profile
Re: Starter issues
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 12:58:41 AM »
Hi Stu,

Sounds like the starter relay or contactor Ducati call's it or it's oxidation at motor terminal. Do you have any mechanical knowledge or aptitude at all because it is an easy diagnose? (You would need a multimeter or power probe at best to check it out).

One thing - does it always 'click' when you press the start button? (Thats when it doesnt start of course)

The 'contactor' has 4 connections (2 heavy - one to battery and its mate to starter motor, and 2 light - one to RH start switch and its mate to ECU).
When starter button pressed, check for 12v at starter on cable, check for 12v at contactor output connection, 12v at contactor input from battery. You get the drift. You're checking at what point the voltage stops (goes open circuit). If you can get this far let us know. If not let the mechanic do it.

Cheers Alex
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Matt

• 0540/2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 02:48:27 AM »
Battery is probably f%#ked.
I've had a similar problem with another of my bikes which showed 12+ volts.

80ojeck

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 02:01:26 PM »
Stu has the CA battery in tank which I surmise is reasonably new and will be a single methinks. He has also jumped from a car battery which would probably have been okay so it should have turned over okay even with a duff battery (assuming it was connected properly).

Do you have access to a voltmeter at all? Easy method to quick check your battery is measure output (in absence of load tester). Should be 12.6V on a good battery. Switch lights on for 20 secs and then check volts again. Should still read 12.6V. If you can crank the engine measure battery voltage whilst cranking. If it drops to below 9.6V there is a good chance the battery is gutted. If it keeps above 10.5V battery looks good.

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.