Author Topic: Shiny new toy!  (Read 2740 times)

80ojeck

• View Profile
Shiny new toy!
« on: June 19, 2013, 11:27:28 AM »
Hi, just gone and bought my first Ducati (well, strictly speaking its my second because I bought an old Darmah just 12 hours before although this isn't on the road), a 2002 MH900e. Don't have it in my possession yet but will be coming pretty soon. Looking forward to it. I had intended to buy a 900ss but I was drawn to one of these as soon as I saw it in the flesh. It will be the newest bike I have. Hope these pictures turn out okay. Bike no. 2 is one I have just finished restoring. The Ducati has a Staintune exhaust, larger fuel tank and alloy cam belt covers. Been getting insurance quotes and have been asked what security devices it has. Don't actually know if it has any factory fitted systems. Do they? Cheers.

alex
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

DarenB68

• View Profile
Re: Shiny new toy!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 11:49:23 AM »
Congrats Alex, I just got mine too a few weeks back. Do you have any more details on the bike like the serial number, mileage etc?
Mine is #194 and had approx 560 miles when I got it. Im rapidly learning that these bikes are very unique beasts (just try removing the triple tree).
Keep the dialogue going. Unfortunately this site gets very little traffic, so you can also post stuff on Ducati.ms in the Sports Classic section, if you havent already.

80ojeck

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 02:00:29 PM »
Mmm, not as few miles as that. I actually thought it was a low mileage example until I started reading this forum and others. The one I am getting is about 3k miles so for 11 years old not too bad really. Don't remember the serial number offhand but it's in the 1300's. I hope I'm not being premature here because I don't actually have it yet and until I do I won't feel like I own anything yet. I do know I'll end up paying a sh** load of money for it. Hey ho, when I'm dead and gone it won't matter a hoot what I've spent on anything. (#1325 - just come across a photo I took). Hope it goes as well as it looks. Controversial that one. It's a bit like Marmite - you either love 'em or you hate 'em.
Congrats to you Daren. How do you find the bike and did you have a Ducati before this one?
Where are you about? I'm in sunny Fife, Scotland.

DarenB68

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 02:30:54 PM »
Alex, I'm actually from Rugby in the UK but now live in Portland Oregon. I've got 6 Ducatis in all. Sounds mental but I've told the missus (and kids for that matter), I'm getting better financial appreciation off my collection in the long run than in the bank. Thats what I tell em anyway :)
These bikes over here are now getting into the mid 20k range (one just sold in texas with zero miles for $25k, and 2 others with low mileage for $23.5k each I believe).
I bought mine from the 2nd owner who was a firefighter up in Seattle.
I would say its perfect but its not really, it was stored indoors obviously, but I think near the ocean, so there was strange clearcoat delaminating on the upper triple tree and then very slight rust spots in two areas on the lower header pipe, which I presume are down to humidity and saltwater air. Cant complain though, the rest of her is beautiful.
The first thing I did was take her into my local Ducati dealership, and for $750 they changed the belts (critical if they havent been done for a few years), all fluids inc clutch and brake, and last but not least, new tires. I kept the old ones. 3000 miles is still way low in my opinion. People over in the states are a little obsessive about low mileage :)

80ojeck

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 01:17:01 AM »
6 Ducatis is fetish territory ;). You obviously like Ducati. What ones do you have apart from MH900e? You aint telling the missus lies - they will appreciate better.
I probably paid more than I should have but the way I see it is that in a year's time it would have been that price anyway and in ten, well, thatís when I win out. Christ it is immaculate though, well almost. Its the small bits and pieces that I see. Nothing that a clean up and polish wont fix. It's coming from a Ducati dealer, at least sold through them anyway, it will be serviced before I get it and it will come with all the existing parts that were on the bike so I'm extremely happy to get it.

How do you like it in the States?

DarenB68

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 09:54:30 AM »
Alex I am taking this offline and PMing you with my personal email.