Author Topic: Dashed for odometer reading ???  (Read 211 times)

Ertech

• View Profile
Dashed for odometer reading ???
« on: June 20, 2017, 03:00:48 PM »
my mh stopped recoding miles on the odometer it shows -------

the trip computer still works and all other fuctions work

have you seen this before

thanks

Erick

L4V

• View Profile
Re: Dashed for odometer reading ???
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 10:40:48 AM »
Apparently the "dashboard" is fragile...as in, sub-standard build quality...aka, crap!!!
I just bought my MH with 9 miles and the dashboard was inop...even the tach didn't work.
I pulled the forward fuse (30A) and reinstalled it and the tach and the speedo began to work but nothing else.  I could not switch from kph to mph.
Mine came from an Audi dealer on consignment and that dealer paid for a new dashboard...$1,171.
I have yet to install it.
I suspect the the Ducati dealer who cleaned the bike, changed fluids and belts washed the bike because I see traces of dried soap here and there.
I've read that it's not wise to get the dashboard wet.  Some say to carry a plastic bag in case we're caught in rain.  I'd guess that the Ducati dealer was unaware of how important it is to not get water on/in the dashboard.
Either that or the dashboard is indeed "crap".
A smooth sea never made a good sailor.

cloner

• General Partner, Desert Desmo, LLC
  • Administrator
  • Former Owner 1501
    • View Profile
    • DesertDesmo.com
Re: Dashed for odometer reading ???
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 09:01:44 AM »
The dashes are indeed poorly made for resistance to water.  They don't seal well and the electronics inside are vulnerable to water damage.  I carried a plastic bag inside the tool compartment at all times in case it rained while riding the bike, as I know a half dozen riders who lost dashes while riding.

One Bimota model used the same dash but without the chrome bezel, in case you're shopping.  Doesn't it seem odd to look for the more common Bimota part?  :)

Outside that you're down to a non OEM instrument cluster if you like functioning instruments.
1967 Aermacchi/HD Sprint SS 250
2004 KTM 450 EXC
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale ABS