Author Topic: Advice on helping with estate sale 2002 MH #847  (Read 862 times)

4Phils

• View Profile
Advice on helping with estate sale 2002 MH #847
« on: September 30, 2016, 02:58:38 PM »
One of my best buddies passed suddenly last year and left his wife with quite a few collectable motorcycles, among them MH #847 I am a life long rider but need help in pricing and selling this bike for his surviving and overwhelmed spouse. We installed a new battery, some fresh non ethanol gas and the bike fired right up, we did not test ride as it was not plated or insured for the street. It appears to have many extras that may either affect the price upwards or downwards, that's why I would relish input from the forum.

The tank has been replaced with a California Cycle works long range tank with the battery modification slot. Cam belt covers appear to be non-stock along with the clutch and brake master covers. Exhaust is Staintune, headers appear "ceramic" coated not sure if they are stock or part of an entire replacement. We have not looked for the stock parts yet, not sure if they exist and where they may be.

Bike has Ant Racing rear view camera system cleanly integrated, a Power Commander(?), dust cover, paddock stand, etc.

126 miles

Any help with direction would be most appreciated by his wife and close circle of friends. Having a hard time with photos, glad to send more to anyone interested.

Mark in Chico Ca.
(530) 774-6550

DarenB68

• View Profile
Re: Advice on helping with estate sale 2002 MH #847
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 04:16:44 PM »
Hi Mark, as rare as these bikes are, you'd think they would sell quickly, but they are in fact incredibly hard to sell. I sold my bone stock #194 earlier this year for $20k with 440 miles on the clock. I had it for sale for about a year, and eventually sold to an enthusiast locally. By the sounds of the version you have, it appears to have all the correct mods, but I suspect a collector will really want all the stock items too. On Ebay these things seem to get to 15 or 16 grand then fizzle out, so you'll have to be patient if you want top dollar. Ebay really seems to be just a way of getting it out there. A good way is also Craigslist; I would list simultaneously in the main cities of NY, LA, Miami etc. Pricewise I'd say you should hold out for $22k, but its end of riding season in many places now. If you haven't joined Ducati.ms yet, its by far the largest enthusiast site in the world, and although I'm not sure you can post a classified immediately after joining, I'd at least join to fish around.
This all sounds like a pain in the butt, but trust me, you actually have to work hard to sell these.
Good Luck with everything.

4Phils

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 05:01:34 PM »
I have posted the info on Ducati.ms also,thanks, I have a 2002 ST4s and have been a member there since 2004. I guess Craigslist and Flea Bay are the way to go, how about one of the big auction  houses like Bonhams Las Vegas?

Mark in Chico

DarenB68

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 04:00:05 PM »
I thought about an actual auction too, but by the time you get it to the destination the cost seemed prohibitive, especially if you have to bring it back.

majauskas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 11:46:03 PM »
Most of them for sale i have seen on mobile.de. At the moment arround 10 units. Prices vary from 17000$ for a used to 21000$ with very low mileage. Also depending on how quickly you want to complete the sales