Author Topic: Rear brake lockup  (Read 751 times)

inkaporka

• View Profile
Rear brake lockup
« on: June 28, 2016, 03:15:50 AM »
G'day all

Well pretty quiet around here... just wanted to see if anyone had ever had an issue with rear brake master cylinders malfunctioning? I was out on #980 today for the first time in a very long time - bike stored for 18 months due to work commitments - just had the timing belts changed and the fuel system overhauled and was just getting home when the rear brake started to bind. ended up coming to a complete stop as the brake was completely locked up, and obviously very hot. After a while the back end cooled off and I was able to push the bike off the road, then got started again & headed home which was close.
Talked to a mate who commented that perhaps the master cylinder had failed and was not allowing fluid back up the line and therefore the brake to back off after application. My question is has anyone had to recon a rear brake master cylinder and of so is it just a few seals etc? Any input o this would be appreciated, I will know more when I bleed the brake and investigate further, so will update the post when this is done.
MH900e #980
2007 1098S, Red (sold :()
2011 Diavel Carbon
2013 HD Fat Bob

cloner

• General Partner, Desert Desmo, LLC
  • Administrator
  • Former Owner 1501
    • View Profile
    • DesertDesmo.com
Re: Rear brake lockup
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 03:13:11 PM »
This is a common issue, not only with Ducati motorcycles using Brembo systems, but many brands.  If the brake pedal is misadjusted so that the master cylinder's piston is held off its stop, the piston covers the return port and fluid cannot return to the reservoir.  Add a little slack to your pedal adjustment and the problem will be rectified.
1967 Aermacchi/HD Sprint SS 250
2004 KTM 450 EXC
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale ABS

inkaporka

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 03:30:04 AM »
Thanks mate I will check that out, cheers!
MH900e #980
2007 1098S, Red (sold :()
2011 Diavel Carbon
2013 HD Fat Bob

lordmoonpie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 05:03:57 AM »
If Cloner's advice doesn't turn out to be root cause, yes, you can easily buy brembo master cylinder rebuild kits and they are very simple to replace, providing you have access to long nose internal (closing) circling pliers.

L4V

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 10:35:17 AM »
Brake lock-up is not uncommon when the reservoir is too full.
A smooth sea never made a good sailor.