Author Topic: Starter Motor  (Read 1038 times)

DaveJB

• View Profile
Starter Motor
« on: January 03, 2016, 02:14:36 AM »
Hi,

I thought I would share my starter motor blues with you all as it may help. Last year my MH began to have problems starting. It would become slower and slower until it finally refused to turn over.

The solenoid would click with no problems and there seemed plenty of power as lights would come on with no problems.

Guessing there may be a battery problem, I replaced with new batteries and cleaned up all connections and a new starter solenoid. Still no luck and the starter would not turn over.

I guessed that the brushes had worn out even though only 3500 miles on the clock. At the time the bike was still in Qatar and I don't have my UK workshop to hand so could not remove the starter myself plus I live in a apartment and nowhere to do some serious work on the bike.

Got the bike taken to the local dealership and diagnosis was the starter had burnt out and needs to be replaced. Left side engine cover had to be removed for access to the bolts to removed and they did the work.

New starter in and all working great now.

So what was wrong with the starter. I was going to throw it away, but decided to have a look inside and see.

Now I consider myself pretty good at mechanical stuff, rebuilt bike and car engines, built bikes, made my own parts etc.

I undid the cap bolts and as I pulled to the starter apart, oil poured out.......lots of oil and it's not meant to be there. A first for me!!!!

A quick check on the internet and guess what, it has happened to others. I cleaned everything up. The commutator was a bit marked so cleaned that with wet and dry. The brushes were ok. I put it all back together and connected to a 12 Volt battery and it spun up with no problems.

The fault was that the oil seal at the front of the starter had failed letting oil in, could be age, I don't know so I am going to get a brush kit for it and a new seal and I will have a spare starter which I will probably never need.

So if you have experienced the same starter issues as me, it may help if you remove the starter and check it before spending money on new batteries, cables, solenoid etc and rebuild your starter instead. Could save you some money!!

Hope my experience can help you out.

Dave

lordmoonpie

• View Profile
Re: Starter Motor
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 01:34:52 PM »
Great advice Dave, think I will replace the oil seal when I next get into the engine as a precautionary measure. It is a problem with Mh900e's in particular that they don't get used regularly so the seals and o-rings dry up and harden and so become less effective. That is why I'd never spend premium money on a zero mileage bike as you either have to keep it as a garage queen or have to spend thousands getting it ready to ride and be safe again. Neil, who owned my bike before me bought it with no mileage from owner number one and and to spend about 2500 to get it into a rideable state after only a few years of standing.

I'll put the oil seal on my jobs list, thanks for the insight  ;)

80ojeck

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 12:17:58 PM »
Good to know. Thanks for the heads-up  :)
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Darthmaul

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 04:52:51 PM »
Thank you Dave for the post. Interesting read. Will take note on that.

L4V

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 08:52:33 AM »
Thank you, Dave.  Very good info.
I recently purchased a 9 mile MH from the original owner.  It was on consignment with an Audi dealership in Nevada.
The dealership had a local Ducati service dealer perform over $1,000 worth of work on the bike.
New belts, oil/filter, brake fluid, chain clean/lube, replaced a couple of cracked/broken fuel fittings, etc., etc.
I will take note of this starter issue.
Best regards,
Don R.
Scottsdale, AZ
PS The only issue with this MH now is that the instrument panel does not respond to the instructions listed in the manual.  I do have tach, total miles, and trip miles.  Cannot change KPH to MPH, however.
Very frustrating.
A smooth sea never made a good sailor.