Author Topic: Oil cooler modification  (Read 6502 times)

spataro87

• View Profile
Oil cooler modification
« on: January 05, 2013, 10:47:39 AM »
Would any one care to comment on this modification pros or cons?  I posted this on the MH900 facebook page and a member stated to be sure that the front tire did not make contact under full compression of the forks.  I am considering this both because of how I feel about the appearance of the low hanging stock one and the fact that I plan on riding mine often and feel as if the stock one allows to much road debris to be thrown up on it.  I live in Maryland our summers are hot and tar from the pavement is an issue here.  I have already purchased a guard for the oil cooler in case I decide to keep it in its original position.

Thanks,
Marc

cloner

• General Partner, Desert Desmo, LLC
  • Administrator
  • Former Owner 1501
    • View Profile
    • DesertDesmo.com
Re: Oil cooler modification
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 02:21:28 PM »
Monsters had their coolers mounted like that for over a decade to no ill effects.  Can't see where it'd be a problem as long as the tire clears (and it will).  You can use the Monster rocker cover and oil lines if you just want to make sure.

That said, I've put about 100k miles on various Ducatis with low mount coolers without issue, both 2 and 4 valvers.  YMMV, of course.
1967 Aermacchi/HD Sprint SS 250
2004 KTM 450 EXC
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale ABS

rwg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 10:27:44 AM »
Go for it, the conversion works well, I have used a four row cooler and it was relativly straight forward and bike just looks so right. I sourced parts a fellow member of the earlier forum, but you can have pipe made to measure quite easily am sure.
Regards
Paul
RWG

spataro87

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 06:52:46 PM »
Paul,

When you refer to "pipe" are you referring to the oil lines?

Thanks,
Marc

lordmoonpie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 12:04:43 PM »
Tha's right Marc - they are the oil cooler lines from the Multistrada DS1000. You will then need a pair of them (one out one return line) then a small 5 bar oil cooler. The one Paul has is a generic one from italy but there are other ducati models that have the small 5 bar coolers like the 750/900ss, sport classic, even the multistrada itself. You then need some hydraulic coupling extenders for the engine side as the multistrada lines will foul the MH900e sump casting, unless of course yo take that off. You will have to have moved you batteries on the MH900e too - either with a cycleworks battery tank or other mod to free up the top rocker cover bracket for the oil cooler. I made some alloy spacers up on the lathe to centre the Italian cooler and then it's a fairly straightforward process to swap over. There are absolutely no clearance issues even on full front compression and it cleans up the look of the bike no end. The detailed instructions are as follows if it helps...good luck! :-)

1.   Take off the left side engine casting
2.   Remove original oil cooler by first undoing lines at the cooler and draining oil out of them into a suitable pan, then take the lines off at the engine side. You can drain the oil cooler now or later.
3.   Assuming the other modifications have been done and the batteries have been relocated to free up the battery brackets on the top front rocker cover, bolt the new oil cooler to the upper rocker cover using the bolts and spacers you've made. The spacers should be uneven to keep the oil cooler central. Larger spacer is on the right hand side of the bike if I recall correctly. Bolt it in place loosely with the oil line ports at the top, facing backwards.
4.   Take off the lower rocker cover with an oil pan underneath it and replace with a standard plain rocker cover. If you have done the polished alloy cover upgrade you can use an old cover, if not, you may have to buy a cover either new or second hand. Monster and 900ss covers are interchangeable.
5.   Take the lower oil line cable without the extension fitment and bolt to the lower engine oil line outlet, leave hand tight for now.
6.   Take the upper oil line cable with the coupler attachment and bolt to the upper oil outlet on the engine, leave hand tight.
7.   Feed both oil lines over to the left of the bike in front of the front casting bolt and then up by the left side of the cylinder head.
8.   Re-using the washers from the original cooler union, push the oil lines into the oil cooler and tighten them up, keeping the lines close to the cylinder on the left so they donít move when you tighten the nuts. Hold the oil cooler mounting posts with a large spanner to keep them sound while tightening nuts
9.   Go back to the engine oil outlet for the lines and tighten the lower line nut to the engine. Again you will need to hold the line to stop it turning
10.   At this point, only the upper line should be loosely tightened. If you get low and level with the front M6 bolt of the removed engine casting you will see that as you tighten this nut, the oil line solid pipe will move slightly down and obscure the hole so you cannot get the casting and bolt back in. Tighten the nut to the engine as far as you can without moving the oil line solid pipe downwards.
11.   Re-attach the casting.
12.   With small movements only possible, tighten the top oil line to engine nut. Once the casting is in place it doesnít matter if the line moves to obscure the bolt that is now in place. If you have trouble doing this up, you have the coupler and the engine nut you can jiggle slightly to get best purchase on the nuts to finally get them all done up. It is fiddly but itís perfectly possible to do with patience.
13.   Finally, tighten the bolts to the oil cooler mount while holding the cooler in the position you want it to remain in.
14.   If youíve done it by the book you should have about 120 millilitres of oil to add then start up and check for leaks.

lordmoonpie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 12:09:01 PM »
Oh btw the difference between this and the Saarland site mod is they hang the oil cooler lower down, this mod puts it higher up and so out of the way of the front most extremity of the cylinder - see picture of mine...

spataro87

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 08:38:42 AM »
Thank you so for taking the time to provide this info.  I do have the larger battery/tank for CAWorks so I am good there.  The picture you provided is mentally the way I envisioned it to look so I am sure this is part of my project now.  I really appreciate the help gentlemen and I look forward to completing my bike and posting some photos.

Marc 

Bloom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 09:18:43 AM »
Hi! Could you see me where is the batery? I don't show in this pics. Thanks
Ducati S2R 800 Dark
Ducati Mh 900 e #1784

FirstDuc-1098

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 03:15:35 PM »
Bloom, I'd say the bike has the tank upgrade that puts the battery in the gas tank

Bloom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 01:11:10 AM »
Bloom, I'd say the bike has the tank upgrade that puts the battery in the gas tank

OK! I don't read this. Thanks!
Ducati S2R 800 Dark
Ducati Mh 900 e #1784

DD

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 09:05:58 PM »
Hi,

Does anyone know where I can get those belt covers form!!!!???

Bolt

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 07:47:18 PM »
Hey DD. I've got a set I'm selling. Shoot me a PM. Thanks
MH900e #0800
MTS
HyperMotard

DD

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2015, 02:11:40 AM »
Hey Bloom,

After missing out on your belt covers can you believe that I'm still looking for a pair....?

DD

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2015, 02:12:49 AM »
Sorry Bolt, not Bloom!